Introducing our Lamb Shanks Winter Warmer. You'll definitely want something to soak up all of that delicious red wine sauce, so we highly recommend some creamy mash or basmati rice.
Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce
- 1 x cup of Tūpari Pinot Noir
- 4 large lamb shanks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Mashed potato for serving
- Reheat oven to 180°. Season Lamb Shanks with Salt and Pepper. Heat oil.
- Add lamb and cook until golden all over, about 4 minutes per side. Work in batches as necessary. Remove lamb from pot and place on a plate.
- In the pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, after 1 minute, then add tomato paste and stir until vegetables are coated.
- Pour in tomato sauce, then return lamb shanks to pot. Add rosemary and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to oven. Cook until lamb shanks are completely tender, approx. 2 hours.
- Remove lamb from pot and place on a cutting board.
Cover with foil to keep warm. Discard rosemary.
- Return pot to stove over medium heat. Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until thickened, 10 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Serve lamb with mashed potatoes and spoon sauce on top.
Enjoy and share with your loved ones - with a glass of red wine of course!